Are Glue Sticks Toxic?

Due to their versatility, Glue Sticks are popular among artists and hobbyists.

They are made of silicone and come in various colors. They often come with removable caps so they can be stored hygienically in drawers and cabinets.

So, are glue sticks toxic? In recent years, some studies have suggested that glue sticks are harmful to children.

Specifically, the toxic effects of the bromine found in glue sticks have been highlighted. Bromine is a chemical compound and is considered toxic if ingested in large quantities.

Bromine is also known to cause thyroid malfunction and birth defects in animals. However, glue stick manufacturers say that bromine is safe if it is ingested at therapeutic levels.

Furthermore, they say that glue sticks are safe because they are made with non-toxic ingredients. Therefore, glue stick manufacturers doubt that glue sticks are toxic to human.

Are Glue Sticks Toxic?

Yes, glue sticks are toxic.

They are classified as being toxic based on their ability to cause eye damage.

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), glue sticks contain two substances that can damage the eyes: toluene and xylene.

When inhaled, toluene can cause mood changes and depression, while xylene can cause dizziness and headaches. When ingested, both substances can cause damage to the liver.

Therefore, you should definitely be careful with glue sticks to prevent eye damage and other health issues.

What Exactly Are Glue Sticks?

Glue sticks are a form or adhesive used to stick things together such as paper or cardboard.

It is formed of a viscous substance that is sticky enough to hold papers together but not so sticky that it ruins the papers when peeled off.

It is then dried, resulting to a hard and dry surface that is very brittle but very flexible at the same time.

Because they are simple to use and available in many different sizes, they are used in almost every household in many forms: scrapbooking, arts and crafts, school projects, and even packaging materials.

What are the Ingredients in a Glue Stick?

Latex, solvents, and water are the ingredients of glue sticks.

Latex is the glue that keeps things stuck together.

Water is sometimes used to dissolve the latex into a liquid form so that it can be easily applied on the papers.

Is the Adhesive in Glue Sticks Harmful to Your Health?

A glue stick’s adhesive is often formed of latex which is a natural rubber derived from the sap of a tree called Hevea Brasiliensis or rubber tree.

The latex is then mixed with water to make a paste-like substance which is applied to paper or other surfaces using a pen-like applicator or brush.

Once applied and dried, the adhesive forms a sticky surface that holds papers together and dries to a brittle and flexible structure that can be easily peeled off from the surface.

Toluene and xylene are two common solvents that are often used in the manufacturing of adhesives, paints, varnishes, and thinners.

What are the Health Risks Associated with Glue Stick Exposure?

Toluene, a hazardous chemical found in glue sticks and other household products, can cause damage to the brain and liver when ingested.

Toluene exposure may damage the brain and impair mental function.

It may also harm your liver and cause anemia.

Toluene poisoning may be lethal if inhaled or swallowed in large quantities.

Also Read: What are Glue Sticks Made of?

Final Words

Finally, there’s one thing to remember about glue sticks: they’re toxic!

If you’ve ever looked closely at glue sticks, you may have noticed that there’s wax all over them.

This wax is what causes the sticks to melt, and it may also leak into your food.

Because wax is toxic, you should avoid eating glue sticks. Unfortunately, children and infants are particularly susceptible to the toxic effects of wax.

For this reason, it’s best to avoid glue sticks altogether.